Diagnostic Treatment Centre

The model of separating Diagnostic and Treatment Centres (DTCs) from acute clinical environments is well established, tested and evidence-based.

A single DTC which operates independently from the Emergency Centre would consolidate resources in terms of workforce, equipment and finance. It would also allow efficient and uninterrupted workflow; improve quality and outcomes and help to conserve specialist services within the area and offer the potential to repatriate some services currently located ‘out of county’.

It is assumed that 80% of all planned surgery can be performed in the Diagnostic and Treatment Centre; with the remaining 20% is complex surgery, requiring co-location with an intensive care unit. All minor and intermediate surgery should be consolidated, e.g. hernias, lumps and bumps, non-constructive breast surgery, some ear, nose and throat and maxillo-facial surgery and some gynaecological surgery.

Patient representatives wholeheartedly endorse the concept of a single Diagnostic and Treatment Centre. They expressed a willingness to travel for their major diagnostic procedures and surgery as long as efficient public and ambulance transport services are available if required.

Local Planned Care Services

Local Planned Care Services

Urgent and Emergancy Care

Urgent and Emergancy Care

Urgent Care Centre

Urgent Care Centre

Diagnostic and Treatment Centre

Diagnostic and Treatment Centre